Introduction to Redevelopment Seminar / Telling the Redevelopment Story
Wednesday, May 9
9:00 a.m. – 9:05 a.m.
What is Redevelopment?
9:05 a.m. – 9:50 a.m.
- What redevelopment is and what it does
- Alphabet soup – glossary of terms and acronyms used in redevelopment
- History of redevelopment in California
- Who gets involved in redevelopment
- CRA’s role and services
- Your role as Redevelopment Advocate
The Powers of Redevelopment: What is a redevelopment agency, what can it do, and how does it work?
10:00 a.m. – 11:35 a.m.
- Origin of redevelopment agencies
- Rules under which agencies operate
- Unique powers of redevelopment agencies
- How agencies are formed Agency staffing
- Basic definitions: project area, blight, tax increment, redevelopment plan, eminent domain
- Buying and selling land
- Affordable housing requirements
- Reporting requirements
11:45 a.m. Luncheon Speaker - Jim Kennedy, CRA Interim Executive Director - update on AB 1X 26 & 27
Plan Adoption, Amendment and Merger: Developing a Plan that Works
1:15 - 3:00 p.m.
- Why undertake a Plan adoption/amendment/merger
- What are the benefits and challenges in undertaking a
- Plan adoption/amendment/merger
- Plan adoption, amendment, and merger processes: how long does it take and how much does it cost
- Essential elements of every redevelopment plan
- How the general plan, zoning ordinance, housing element, and redevelopment plan work together
- Environmental requirements
- Role and function of the Project Area Committee
- Getting community support for the plan
Financing Redevelopment: How is a redevelopment project paid for?
3:15 p.m. – 4:45 p.m.
- Integral role of tax increment and how it works
- Nature of indebtedness
- Types of bonds
- Uses and restrictions on redevelopment funds
- How to analyze a project to determine cost/benefit
- The financing team and their roles
- Housing obligations
4:45 p.m. – 6:15 p.m.
Thursday, May 10
8:30 a.m. – 8:40 a.m.
Recap and Overview
Redevelopment Plan Implementation: Meeting the goals of your plan
8:40 a.m. – 9:30 a.m.
- Do’s and dont’s of implementing a plan
- The use of staff and consultants in projects
- Redevelopment “deals” and the planning approval processes
- Effectively working with property owners and developers
- Common pitfalls in project implementation
- Meeting your affordable housing requirements
How projects get done in the real world: case studies
9:40 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.
These case studies will address both retail/commercial/industrial and affordable housing types of redevelopment projects. They will demonstrate how the processes and techniques of redevelopment have been applied to actual projects.
Review and Summary
11:30 a.m. – 11:45 a.m.
This brief review will summarize the key elements of the seminar and resources available for further education in redevelopment through CRA’s professional development program.
Thursday, May 10 - Workshop
Telling the Redevelopment Story
12:00 p.m. - 12:50 p.m.
Lunch for workshop attendees
Now that you know what a redevelopment plan is, how do you get support for it?
1:00 p.m. - 3:30 p.m.
Redevelopment agencies have a great story of success to tell. They need to know how best to tell it. They also need to build coalitions at the local level to help inform their legislators of redevelopment’s contributions to the economy. This session will instruct participants on how to more effectively communicate with the public, media, and legislators, including:
- How to develop a strategic communications plan
- How to develop and implement a public information program
- How to work effectively with the media
- Strategies for building community consent for redevelopment activities
- Strategies for building coalitions at the local level with organizations and entities that benefit from redevelopment activities
- Case studies of successful strategies and programs